I’ve worked really hard in my life, ambitious, motivated, & long hours. Now don’t get me wrong, though it’s a tough slog much of the time, its been rewarding and I’ve have great experiences with many overturns of growth like a tree – in many directions. With this I’ve also been fortunate enough to have long periods of downtime at one period of my life: work hard – relax hard was my motto.
Self care was something I had to embrace, or my body & organs would tell me so!
With that I sought out new relaxing experiences near and far. It could be as simple as a massage or pair it with a pedicure. Then I took that to the next level and get it at a resort rather than a local shop. Then again, made a weekend of it, where I finally got to meditate or read that book I’ve had at my bedside for months! My mind would soon become relaxed, all my worries would melt away, I would be gently reminded to drink more water, and eat good food (because those nasty habits would creep back up on you in times of stress).
A wonderful thing that no one ever talks about, is that in a good spa, these people are consummate care givers & they make you feel so special. For most, we are constantly busy taking care of others and forget to take care of ourselves. I truly enjoy getting to know these people, they enrich my life.
If YOU want a relaxing get-away for a weekend or more, contact me to discuss your options! @erikaluxtravel on Social Media or email firstname.lastname@example.org
These are my spa notes for you take away for a rewarding experience
- When they say “take your time” they really do mean it
- Don’t be worried about falling asleep during a treatment, I think over 50% do and it shows your lovely attendant they had you fully relaxed.
- If you don’t like something – either the pressure, the scent, the colour YOU picked, SPEAK UP! They want you to leave happy … of course, do this with kindness
- Don’t get in dolled up, be kind to those white linens, mascara is not necessary – and you’ll look betting for it not coming out afterwards like a raccoon
- Stay a while after your treatment, they have those lounges for a reason, they want you be fully relaxed and enjoy yourself
- If the spa you are visiting has a pool or saunas, take FULL ADVANTAGE, make a day of it! Pack that bathing suit and become one with your robe!
- Spa day with your friend? Be mindful of others around you and don’t laugh too hard (experience right there folks!)
- Bring a lock, because you never know if one is provided for your locker
- Bring a prep bag, mine always has a hair brush, deodorant and a pouch for my jewelry (I even take off my earrings and wedding ring for my massages)
- Don’t make plans for going out that evening, plan for a good night sleep! Trust me on this, I went out dancing & drinks after a massage it made for a terrible next morning!
- Get comfortable with being silent, with being still, with being mindful
- Seriously: hydrate hydrate hydrate, before as well as after!
Recommendations of my favorite places to professionally relax
- Sparkling Hill Resort – a weekend getaway in the hills, overlooking Lake Okanagan, where your room includes saunas, pools & a delicious breakfast
- Banff Springs Hotel – Willow Stream Spa – grab a massage or a facial and spend the day in the secluded pools & hot pools, only for patrons. Also enjoy tea in their many lounge areas
- Le Nordik Spa in Chelsea Quebec, the most glorious setting in the trees & rocks where you enjoy a myriad of pools, saunas & lounge areas outdoors all year round
- Vida Spa in Vancouver or Whistler – they have the best lounges, and the most magnificent hot oil massage I’ve ever had
- Cruise ships! Many of them have a spa package you can get – where there are only about 100-200 people on the ship can get access to the private spa lounge areas and hot tubs, but most importantly the thermal beds for relaxing on!!!!
- And finally, the Cave Sauna Spa– 8 nordik sauna and steam rooms that are bathed in different aromatherapy, light and pure relaxation!! I am so fortunate to live so close to this wonderful business.